By Amy McCaffree & Derrick Knowles
This winter may present more challenges than normal for getting your little ones out on the slopes, but at the same time, it may be the most important winter season ever for you and your family to spend time outdoors together. Out There Outdoors’ annual Family Winter Sports Guide is the resource for parents looking to get their kids involved in winter sports. Our guide includes inspiration and information to get more kids out developing a lifetime love of skiing, snowboarding, and playing in the snow.
Special thanks to the Ski the Northwest Rockies (SNWR) association and affiliated resorts—49 Degrees North, Mt. Spokane, Silver Mountain, and Lookout Pass. Their partnership with Out There Outdoors on our shared mission to engage the next generation of skiers and riders here in the Inland Northwest makes this guide possible!
Be Safe & Have Fun Out There This Winter
- Advice for Teaching Your Kids to Ski: Tips from a former ski instructor and dad teaching his own two young kids to ski.
- COVID Safety Tips: 7 Ps for the Ski Mountain: Ways to be safe and responsible on the mountain this season.
- Ski Programs for Kids & Families This Winter: Overview of ski school program offerings, both private and small group lessons, from all the Ski the NW Rockies affiliated mountain resorts.
- Cross-Country Skiing for Kids: New COVID-safe instructional options from Spokane Nordic Ski Association (SNSA) for families in lieu of the traditional Nordic Kids program.
- Ski the NW Rockies Association 5th Grade Ski Free Passport: Program perks and registration information.
- Little Rippers of the Inland NW: Profiles of four young skiers who tear it up at local SNWR mountains.
- 6 Tips for Budget-Friendly Skiing: Ways to make an outdoor winter sport more financially feasible. An investment in outdoor recreation during this hard time of winter 2020-21 is more important than ever for children and adults’ physical and mental wellness and to help cope with the stress of the COVID era.
- 5 Ways for Kids To Play In the Snow: Ideas for having fun outdoors this winter that’s not downhill skiing or snowboarding.
- Tips for Keeping Kids Warm Outside: Expert advice from a local ski school director and instructor.
- Local Youth Ski Racing Programs: Inland NW regional teams help take young skiers to the next level.
- (top row, left-right) Playing in the Snow // Photo: Shallan Knowles; Tubing // Photo: Amy McCaffree.
- (second row) Skiing at Mt. Spokane; Little Ripper Landon McCaffree. // Photos: Amy McCaffree
- (third row) Little Ripper Kendal Brumet (left) // Photo: Courtesy Brumet family; Little Ripper Oliver Peck (middle) // Photo courtesy Nate Peck; Drinking hot cocoa at Mt. Spokane’s summit Vista House (left). // Photo: Amy McCaffree
- (bottom row) Little Ripper Libby Collins (left) // Photo courtesy Jessica Crosten; First turns for Little Ripper Landon at age 2 ( right). // Photo: Amy McCaffree.