Is ski racing a good fit for your child? If they already have basic ski skills and can get their skis off and on, ride the lift, and go to the bathroom by themselves and show an interest in taking their skiing to the next level by learning new skills, it just might be. Kids do not need to already be super strong skiers to get involved in a ski team. Dan Henry, executive director and head coach of the Mt. Spokane Ski Racing Team notes that it’s a great way for kids to learn new skills and become great all-mountain skiers.
Inland Northwest ski race teams will likely be making some changes to their programs to limit pandemic related health risks and keep kids and parents safe. Registration for these ski racing teams should begin as normal this fall but check in early to keep up to date on any COVID-related changes to each mountain’s ski race program.
- Mt. Spokane Ski Race Team: Mssrt.org
- 49 Degrees North FAST Program: Ski49n.com/mountain-services/race-program
- Lookout Pass Race Team: Skilookout.com/race-teams
- Schweitzer Alpine Racing School (SARS): Sars.snowproportal.com
- Silver Mountain Alpine Racing Team (SMART): https://www.silvermt.com/index.php/ski-ride/alpine-race-team
Originally published as “Ski Racing Programs Take Young Skiers to the Next Level” in the Family Winter Sports Guide in the Nov.-Dec. 2020 issue.