Before you leave home for your next Northwest outdoor adventure or camping trip, be sure to check the latest conditions for your road travel route and final destination, including any forest, campground, park, and trail closures. Also, create a safety plan for worse-case scenarios, like wildfire evacuation.
Here are resources to help you be prepared and safe out there.
Traffic Alerts & Road Closure Information
- Idaho Travel Alerts
- Montana Travel Alerts: Conditions, Closures, & Incidents
- Oregon: Latest road and weather condition updates
- Washington State Travel Alerts: Statewide and Eastern Washington
- Escape Routes and Safety Zones: Tips for Hiking During Wildfire Season – Washington Trails Association
- Wildfire Tips for Hikers
- Backcountry Basics: How to React to Wildfires – Pacific Crest Trail Association
- 5 Steps To An Emergency Response Plan for Camping
- Campground Evacuation & Shelter Safety Tips – from MobileRving.com
- Wildfire preparation guidance from Ready.gov (Dept. of Homeland Security).
- Wildfire Evacuation Tips
- Wildfire Action Plan Checklist & Emergency Supply Kit – guidance for residents and homeowners that can applied to recreational camping
- Air quality health and safety: resources from AirNow.gov