National Trails Day (June 2):
- Washington State Parks free admission day.
- Camp Caro Community Park: Free family and community activities, 10 a.m.- 1 p.m. Outdoor games with REI.
Boulder Beach opens at Silverwood Theme Park (June 9)
National Get Outdoors Day (June 9):
- Free admission to all Washington State Parks.
Free Boat Safety Course (June 9):
- Takes place at Kootenai County Sheriff’s Office Volunteer Search & Rescue Building, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Families welcome. parksandrecreation.idaho.gov.
Free Fishing Days (June 9, 10):
- No license required in Idaho on June 9 or June 9-10 in Washington, courtesy of state fish & wildlife agencies.
Wednesdays in the Woods: Gourmet Camp Cooking (June 13):
- Free class from REI, 6:30-8:00 p.m. at Riverside State Park’s Bowl & Pitcher Amphitheater. Discover Pass required. rei.com
Free Family Night Out at Camp Dart-Lo (June 15):
- 5:30-8:00 p.m. at Camp Fire’s day camp property along the Little Spokane River. www.campfireinc.org/page/dart-lo-day-camp
Nature in the Neighborhood: South Hill Bluff Trails (June 16):
- Naturalist-led trail adventure, hands-on activities, and crafts for children ages 5-12, from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Registration and fee required. www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/south-hill-bluff
Spokane City Aquatic Centers Open (June 18):
- New this year—free admission for everyone, all summer long; includes open swim, lap swim, parent-tot swim sessions, and family nights. my.spokanecity.org/recreation/aquatics/
Wednesday in the Woods: Hiking in the Inland Northwest (June 20):
- Presentation by Washington Trails Association local programs coordinator Holly Weiler; 6:30-8:00 p.m. at Riverside State Park’s Bowl & Pitcher Amphitheater. Discover Pass required. www.rei.com
Spokane Summer Parkways (June 21):
- Bike/walk along a car-free route, 6-9 p.m., between Comstock and Manito Parks along neighborhood streets; local businesses and organizations provide activities, games, and goodies along the course. summerparkways.com
Free Chairlift Rides to Summit at Schweitzer Mountain Resort (June 24):
- Grand opening weekend for summer includes family activities. www.schweitzer.com
Wednesday in the Woods: Kids Outdoors (June 27):
- Free activities for children of all-age, led by REI, Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, and Camp Fire; 6:30-8:00 p.m. at Riverside State Park’s Bowl & Pitcher kitchen shelter. www.rei.com //
[Feature photo by Amy McCaffree]