Scrounging up the equipment for an ice-climbing trip can be costly. Here are a few ways pull together the essentials on a budget:
- Visit local used-gear retailers like Northwest Outdoors.
- Check Craigslist for used items, but make sure you or a knowledgeable friend inspect the gear to ensure it’s still safe and strong.
- Investigate Seattle’s used-gear inventories by calling around to local shops.
- Try to get ahold of last-year’s models via sites like REI Outlet and Sierra Trading Post.
- Borrow until you’re ready to buy. There’s nothing worse than getting really excited about and investing heavily in a sport, only to find out it’s something you prefer to do only on occasion.