Adventure tourism is one of the best ways to get to know a new area. Here is our list of 2020 races and events worth traveling for.
- Ski to Sea (May 24): Ski to Sea is the original multisport relay race, from Mt. Baker to Bellingham Bay. Organize teams of 3-8 racers and join in the fun on Memorial Day weekend. Teammates and spectators await finishing racers in Bellingham’s scenic Marine Park and experience the Historic Fairhaven Festival, the all-day street party just up the hill. Editor’s Note: The 2020 Ski to Sea Race is cancelled because of the circumstances associated with COVID19 pandemic. Below is the content that appeared in our March 2020 issue’s Race, Ride, & Event Guide Special Section.
- Granite Man Off Road Weekend (June 27-28): This is one of the few off road tri/du’s in Oregon. It is a weekend full of events for the whole family, including swim and paddles, mountain bike rides, and trail runs. Affordable camping available at Applegate Lake.
- Tour de Whatcom (July 18): Explore the beautiful landscape of Whatcom County, in northwest Washington, with a ride distance to suit your style. Options include 22 or 44 miles, Metric Century (62 miles), or Century Ride. Start/finish in downtown Bellingham.
- Mt. Baker Hill Climb (Sept. 13): This event poses a unique challenge with over 4,000 feet in elevation gain in 22 miles along the winding highway into the alpine. Riders over the age of 13 can choose from three participation categories: social, recreational, and competitive.
- WaCanId International Selkirk Loop Ride (Sept. 14-19): The WaCanId is an annual Rotarian-supported bicycle tour on paved roads encircling the Selkirk Mountains of Washington, Canada, and Idaho. The 6-day event covers 370 miles and showcases the International Selkirk Loop’s spectacular scenery. And if cyclists need a lift, there is plenty of support available.
- Clark Fork Adventure Challenge (Sept. 20): Participants run, row, and ride their way through some of the most scenic areas of western Montana. With two options, the original Adventure Challenge and the Adventure Challenge Lite, there is opportunity for individuals with all levels of skills to participate.
Check event websites for any schedule changes and updates.